Whether you appreciate winter or prefer the warmer months in McMurray, most of us make adjustments to ensure our home’s temperature keeps us content. This can have a large impact on your utility costs, but there are steps you can take to reduce those energy costs.
- Assess the weather stripping – Over time, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to find any drafts that should be addressed.
- Utilize your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be valuable in keeping your house warm. Keep them open while the sun is still shining throughout the day, and make sure to close them at nighttime, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter continually to see if it must be replaced. We recommend at least once every three months, but that period of time can vary from house to house.
- Purchase a programmable thermostat – They may seem like just a handy way to make sure your home remains warm, but programmable thermostats can also save you money! You can fix temperatures to be on a lower setting when you are away from the home or sleeping. It’s just one way to be more efficient and help with energy costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Check to see if you have a sufficient amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a great tool to lower the chances of heat escaping.
- Book routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs a little attention, too. Hiring qualified technicians to clean and maintain your system will give you piece of mind that your system is running effectively and efficiently. They can also detect small issues that could end up as more expensive repairs if neglected.
- Assess your HVAC system – If you notice your energy bills are continually increasing—despite your efforts to enhance efficiency—it might be time to look for a replacement heating system. The team at Kowalski Heating, Cooling & Plumbing can help you analyze the performance of your HVAC system and walk through the choices for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps lower the amount of money you are putting toward your energy costs, but many of them can help your heating system work more efficiently. More efficient energy use also improves the health of your equipment, which means your heating system will have a longer life.
If you need routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide additional information on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Kowalski Heating, Cooling & Plumbing in McMurray a call to begin. You can reach us at 724-370-0141 or arrange an appointment with us online.